First of all you have to make your website SEO friendly after that you need to figure out the bugs & errors in your website so that it can be improved. To make your website popular you need to update your website regularly with new content, information, knowledge and news.
Although while doing this you have make your website a brand and go according to the guidelines given by Google. One more thing you need to be more assured of the website design as the responsive design and mobile-friendly websites are having more popularity then less-responsive sites. So, keep this thing also in mind.
The following recommendations are more common and don’t require that creativity as in case with content.
no typos and bugs on the site
a web feed (RSS, Atom) for your visitors to stay updated
one of the widgets of any social network
call-to-action functionality like polls
Minimal and simple style
More white space
Large icons and short titles
Background custom video or high quality image
Top or side menu at fixed position
Apply appropriate meta tags
titles is the most important part, descriptions are supportive
Adjust URLs to be appropriate to site headings
Use special characters (dashes would be great) for multiple words in URLs
Don’t spread a high amount of backlinks in a short period of time
Submit only natural backlinks
Try to get to DMOZ
Make sure that Sitemap.xml is not missing
Use Google Analytic tool to track website traffic
There's many strategies to make a website popular, but generally all successful websites have a few things in common:
- Content. Useful, engaging content will keep users coming back to your site once they find it. It will also cause users to become advocates of your website and share it with their friends.
- Advertising. Whether it be online or offline, targeting advertising will let users know your website exists and build awareness.
- Good SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). SEO allows search engines to know what kind of content you have your site, and helps boost where in search results your site appears so users can find it. This has to do with how you build your site and how your tweak your content so it's more keyword targeted (apologies to any SEO experts who may have read that and winced at my oversimplification).
1) Optimize your site for search engines : Search engines have always been a major way to get traffic for free. That is why you need to do your homework and optimize your site so that it ranks well for the keywords you target. SEO is still the most powerful way to get traffic for free and you really need to invest some time and efforts in the optimization of your site. SEO is not that difficult and if you want to get familiar with it in a nutshell, check our SEO Tutorial. If you are too busy for that, you can start with the 15 Minute SEO article.
ALSO READ :Best Way to Build Your Website
2) Frequently update the contents of your site : If you expected some shocking secrets revealed, you might be a bit disappointed. One of the first steps in getting traffic for free is trivial but vital – get great content and frequently update it. In terms of SEO, content is king. If your content is good and frequently updated you will not only build a loyal audience of recurring visitors, who will often come to see what is new, but search engines will also love your site.
3) Take advantage of social bookmarking sites : Social bookmarking sites (especially the most popular among them) are another powerful way to get traffic for free. If you want to learn how to do it, check the How to get Traffic from Social Bookmarking sites article, where we have explained what to do if you want to get free traffic from sites such as Digg, Delicious, etc.
ALSO READ:Best Social Media Sites
4) Use your Twitter and Facebook accounts : Social networks are also a way to get traffic for free. If you are popular on networks, such as Twitter or Facebook, the traffic you get from there can easily surpass the traffic from Google and the other search engines. It is true that building a large network of targeted followers on Twitter and supporters on Facebook takes a lot of time and effort but generally the result is worth.
5) Get links with other sites in your niche : Another way to get traffic for free is from other sites in your niche. Getting links with other sites in your niche is also good for SEO, especially if you manage to get links without the famous nofollow attribute. But even if the links are nofollow (i.e. they are useless for SEO), they still help to get traffic to your site.
6) Use any chance to promote your site for free : Free promotion is always welcome, so don't neglect it. There are many ways to promote your site for free and some of the most popular ones include free classified ads, submissions to directories, inclusion in various listings, etc. It is true that not all free ways to promote your site work well but if you select the right places to promote your site for free, this can also result in tons of traffic.
7) Create a free product or service : Content drives most traffic when you offer something useful. There are many types of useful content you can create and they largely depend on the niche of your site. You can have articles with tons of advice, or short tips but one of the most powerful ways to get traffic is to create a free product or service. When this product or service gets popular and people start visiting your site, chances are that they will visit the other sections of the site as well.
8) Use viral content : Free products and services are great for getting free traffic to your site and one of the best varieties in this aspect is viral content. Viral content is called so because it distributes like a virus – i.e. when users like your content, they send it to their friends, post it on various sites, and promote it for free in many different ways.
9) Use offline promotion : Offline promotion is frequently forgotten but it is also a way to get traffic for free. Yes, computers are everywhere and many people spend more time online than offline but still life hasn't moved completely on the Web. Offline promotion is also very powerful and if you know how to use it, this can also bring you many visitors. Some of the traditional offline ways to promote your site include printing its URL on your company's business cards and souvenirs or sticking it on your company vehicles. You can also start selling T-shirts and other merchandise with your logo and this way make your brand more popular.
10) Include your URL in your signature : URLs in forum signatures are also a way to get traffic for free. There are forums, which get millions of visitors a day and if you are a popular user on such a forum, you can use this to get traffic to your site.